Adding new birds?

LuvMyChickies13

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Northern U.S.
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone had advice on adding new birds to a flock. Well in my case, adding to two hens. They are almost grown but I'd like to bring more in next season!

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/when-to-move-chicks-from-brooder-to.html
smile.png

I always use a barrier of some sort in the coop. I have a big and tall coop, so I use 1-2 wire dog kennels, depending how many I'm adding to my flock. I get my chickens as babies or hatch myself, so as soon as they feather they are in the coop inside the wire dog kennels. I've never had any issues integrating them as this works well for me. I don't let the new chooks in with the adults until they are full grown which is about 3 weeks.

It is always best to let them roam together or in the coop when the youngest are full grown. They don't really fend for themselves until 12 weeks anyway, this has been my experience and I add new chicks every year, sometimes 2-3 times a year. I started with a small flock and now it's really grown.

Good luck. It's good you have 2 going in vs 1. They will stay buddies together for their life. Some of my hens have a really strong bond and they must roost together always.

A roost is the bar they fly up at night to sleep. I have roosting bars in my coop and in my run.

I use wire dog crates in the coop for the new birds. Just be careful, I just had a hen get her foot stuck in the crate n fall off the side hurting her leg. If u are using a crate put wood on the top. This will also keep ur old chickens from pooping on the new guys

I use wire dog crates in the coop for the new birds. Just be careful, I just had a hen get her foot stuck in the crate n fall off the side hurting her leg. If u are using a crate put wood on the top. This will also keep ur old chickens from pooping on the new guys

I always use a barrier of some sort in the coop. I have a big and tall coop, so I use 1-2 wire dog kennels, depending how many I'm adding to my flock. I get my chickens as babies or hatch myself, so as soon as they feather they are in the coop inside the wire dog kennels. I've never had any issues integrating them as this works well for me. I don't let the new chooks in with the adults until they are full grown which is about 3 weeks.

It is always best to let them roam together or in the coop when the youngest are full grown. They don't really fend for themselves until 12 weeks anyway, this has been my experience and I add new chicks every year, sometimes 2-3 times a year. I started with a small flock and now it's really grown.

Good luck. It's good you have 2 going in vs 1. They will stay buddies together for their life. Some of my hens have a really strong bond and they must roost together always.

A roost is the bar they fly up at night to sleep. I have roosting bars in my coop and in my run.T
Thanks for your help! And yes, I put a large branch in the coop for them to perch on. Will they sleep on that?

Back
Top Bottom