Adding new Chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clifford258, Aug 27, 2013.

1. clifford258

clifford258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Hey folks I know there is a million different post about adding new chickens to an existing flock! Well I have got many different things I can do I just wanna share with you all what I am going to do and you let me know if I am doing to right or wrong thing!! I have a flock that have 5 hens and 1 rooster. I am wanting to add 1hen and 1 rooster to my flock the breed is White OEGB they are about 1 month old. I have then in a wire cage about 2ftx2ft and 2 ft tall. My older rooster hasn't paid any attention to the new rooster that is in the cage. He and the hens just have been standing around looking and the small chickens like why are you in there lol No violence has happened yet! I plan to leave the new bantams in the cage in the coop with the bigger chickens for about 2-3 weeks. Is this right? Don't wanna causes any harm??? Thank you all in advance!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sounds good to me - you may not need to keep them separate for more than a week or two at the most, then let them integrate into the flock.

Just make sure you continue to keep at least one extra feeder and waterer for them, so the "original" flock doesn't bully them away from food and water.
    :thumbsup

3. clifford258

clifford258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Oh!!!! Great idea I never thought about that thanks so much!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by