Adding new chickens...do they need another nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bonebrake, Dec 11, 2009.

1. bonebrake

bonebrake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently added to two new chickens (1- EE, 1- Speckeled Sussex) to my existing flock (2 BR, 1 RIR, 1 Welssie). The older gals are about 10 months old. The new gals are 4 and 5 months old and get pushed around a bit by the older girls. So my question is - do you think the new girls will lay in the existing nest boxes? They seem to get bullied a bit and may not feel like it's their place to lay. Neither has shown any interest in the existing nest boxes that are in the coop. I don't want them getting into the habit of laying in the yard, so should I add another box that they can make their own?

Thanks!

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    How many nest boxes do you have? Do your girls all lay in one box or have one each?
    I dont have a nest box - the girl lays in a corner of the coop, next to a golf ball, but then again only one of them is laying and they get on with each other superbly. I am hoping to "upgrade" soon though [​IMG].

3. bonebrake

bonebrake Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have two nest boxes. The girls all seem to share the one on the left, but occasionally will drop one in the right box.

4. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Generally I think the rule is one nest box per three chickens, but mabe you should add another one to be on the safe side?
    And mabe put a golf ball in it to encourage them to lay there.

5. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    More than likley the older girls will take over the new nest box if you add one. I just put 7 more hens in with my older hens and they also get picked on every once and a while. Just the nature of things. I have 14 hens in the coop with 5 nest boxes and all eggs are laid in the first 2 boxes. I have tried to entise the girls into laying in in all boxes and they won't have it. Seems when they see one egg in the box they want to join in on the party.

6. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    I was told by my husband grandfather that used to keep around 50-80 chickens that about 5-6 chickens per nesting box. My husband grandmother aslo said the same. Two very old timers who lived durring the depression know a thing or two about farm animals.
    I use 12 boxes for my 28 layers and they only use about half. Two have the most eggs every day. I would not worry about adding another box.

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Have never tried to integrate youngsters in to my flock. They are all same age. You are right to be concerned because they are very close to laying age now at 5 months. Try a nest box on the floor, maybe covered overhead. A box or carton should make a quick and cheap one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by