Adding new chickens to my dwindling flock

thederf

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2015
I am currently raising 14 pullets ages 8, 5, and 4 weeks. I have never added new hens to my flock before and have read just about every article I could find. My only remaining question is the feed. My older girls are on layer pellet and the young are on starter, soon to be on grower. What do I feed them once they're all together? Should I switch to an all purpose feed till they are old enough to all be eating layer?

I know a gal in TN who recommends partitioning off an area while introducing younger birds to an already existing flock. If you partition your coop, you can feed the younger their grower til they reach the layer feed stage. It's important to have them getting their protein while they are growing. This can be as simple as a 2x4 boards framed out wall with fencing of your choice. I don't know your coop situation so it's hard to say. This will also allow the older flock and the newer girls to 'visit' through the fence without problems, in case the older girls get 'grumpy' about new faces in the flock. They will of course have to resolve the pecking order in their own time.

They are only separated by a chicken wire fence right now and would like to combine them soon if possible. The young girls area is small and they will outgrow it very soon. Never planned on getting so many. 6 was the plan, oops.

Back
Top Bottom