Adding new chickens

krrob2009

Hatching
Feb 16, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
I currently have 8 barred rock and 3 Rhode Island reds. They were hatched in February and all but 1 is laying. I would like to add 4 more chickens to the flock. Our coop is 5x10 with a 10x10 run. The chickens free range most of the time and only use the coop to sleep and lay. Would this be ok even though it's a little small?? They have plenty of room to roost.

I currently have 8 barred rock and 3 Rhode Island reds. They were hatched in February and all but 1 is laying. I would like to add 4 more chickens to the flock. Our coop is 5x10 with a 10x10 run. The chickens free range most of the time and only use the coop to sleep and lay. Would this be ok even though it's a little small?? They have plenty of room to roost.

To be blunt.....No, most likely not.

You are maxed out (maybe more than) space wise in both coop and run.
Integrating new birds takes extra space.

Free ranging can help, but coop size is really the limiter,
.....and run size become critical too after that first catastrophic predator event when you have to keep the in the run for day so weeks.

What is your climate? Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.
If this is your first year with chickens, I strongly suggest you keep things as they are until at least next year.
Getting thru that first year, and especially the first winter, can be a steep learning curve.

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC!

ETA:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Consider medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article
Poultry Biosecurity
BYC 'medical quarantine' search

Last edited:
Every thing Aart said. She gives excellent advice. The most frequent newbie mistake (after brooding chicks in a too small brooder and with too much heat) is underestimating the amount of room they require to be a contented flock. Most chicken aggression is caused by over crowding. I would venture to guess that most disease problems are also caused by same (in addition to keeping them in a run that is a barren moon scape that yo-yo's back and forth between a fecal ridden mud slick and dust bowl. Welcome to BYC, and take it slow. Take the time to see how your flock as adults work in the space you have available.

Thanks for the advice! I live in Southwest Ohio, currently in the 80s! Yes this is the first year for our flock! We had 4 reds but one got eaten by a raccoon
1f44e-1f3fb.png
1f44e-1f3fb.png
. Generally the temperament is really good besides for my red who likes to pin down the barred rocks
1f621.png

Back
Top Bottom