Adding new chicks to a flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fancychick1, Aug 7, 2014.

1. fancychick1

fancychick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    I have 6 chickens and 3 ducks in my original flock and they are 18wks. About a month ago I added 7 more which were about 3 wks old. I free range them in my back yard which is surrounded with a privacy fence. I kept the babies separate at first and have slowly introduced them to the older flock and I expected them to give them a hard time at first but a month later they are still being picked at. I continue to keep them separate at night but during the day they run the yard but constantly have to run for shelter to escape the older ones picking at them. Is this common or will this eventually pass? Does it make a difference that they are different breeds?

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's probably more size difference than breed. Although some breeds do pick on others more. When they get to a like size will you be able to house them all together? It may make the pecking order figure easier if they wake up and sleep all together.

3. fancychick1

fancychick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Oak Grove, KY
    Thanks they are silkies so I don't know if they will ever be as big as the others which are SLW's.The ducks tend to shelter them when they can.

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would think over time they can work it out. There's quite an age gap there so it may just take longer than if they were all 18 weeks now. Hope they smooth it out soon for you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by