adding new chicks to older chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AmericanMom, Feb 9, 2014.

1. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    This may have been asked but I couldn't find it anywhere so here goes...maybe again...

I have an opportunity to get several chicks, BO's, BA's and Wyandotte next weekend.. I am going into day five of incubation on my own eggs... Question, should I pass on these chicks because it would be to hard to introduce the new chicks to them? I have only one brooder and one grow out pen, the brooder will only hold chicks for a few weeks so they will have to be able to be together if I get them.

2. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    I've never done it. However, I'm sure it is probably not that hard, but probably takes a fair amount of work. Depends on how much you are willing to watch them, and make sure that they don't injure the younger ones.

3. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

yeah I knew a two week difference would be an issue, just wanted to see if others had done it or would / would not recommend it... I can wait til this summer if it would be to much of an issue..

4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Two weeks has never been an issue for me. I am hatching chicks all of the time and often have gaps larger then that in age. I just took a pic of one of my brooders as of RIGHT NOW. I have chicks hatched yesterday with chicks from a few days to 5 weeks old - no issue. I have never had a chick injured or killed, just make sure they aren't too cramped to where they have no choice but to step on each other.

[​IMG]

5. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I keep newly hatched chicks in a brooder tote for a few days but after I know everybody is eating and drinking I have no trouble mixing babies with a 3 week age difference.

6. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I've done consecutive hatches and brooded the chicks together with no problem. You just need to make sure you keep an eye on them at first and make sure there is enough room for the new guys.

7. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    thank you everyone for your replies ! DH said last night if it wasn't going to be an issue to go for it.... lol, now the hard part, limiting myself to a couple of each!! lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. ARiesb

ARiesb Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    Sorry to hijack this thread also. I got 10 Red Stars last Monday and lost 2 so I decided to add chicks and my friend wanted some. So I got Black and Blue Orpingtons today. 7 of them. The Red Stars really started going after them. I don't really have room or equipment to separate them but I separated right now. Any suggestions?

9. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    So I got them!!! Got a great deal at the feed store but didn't get the Buffs or the Marans...Oh well, there is always next weekend [​IMG] Bought 200 pounds of feed (normal for us once a month) and the lady threw in 8 chicks for a buck a piece.. I mean, really? could I have passed it up? LOl

2 Barred rocks
    1 Black Sex Link
    2 White Leghorns
    1 Red Sex Link
    2 Rhode Island Reds

I doubt DH allows me to to the feed store again[​IMG]

10. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan

Sounds like my trips to the feed store... You should've seen the look on my moms face when I came home the day they were having the "buy 6, get 6 free" day! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by