adding new chicks to the pen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yotetrapper, May 15, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I have 30 4.5 week olds in a large brooder outside. I'm not ready to add them in yet, but what is the best time for adding the younguns into the coop?

Also, any steps I should take to help assure the older hens will allow the new guys?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Wait until they're the same size as the adult birds. Usually 16-18 weeks.

3. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    full grown size?? I wasn't going to wait THAT long. Everyone waits till they're that big?

4. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    They should be about the same size!

they should also be able to see each other for a week or to before mixed!

How many are in Original Flock? ((if you are adding more than in OF & they are old enough to protect themselves the OF should be overwhelm which will cut down on pecking))

5. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yeah I was hoping that would work that way. My original flock is down to 11, and I'm adding 30.

6. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Like you have the space to wait until their full grown LOL! I stick them in with the old ones at about 5 -6 weeks. Heck, Ive stuck 2 week olds in the the big ones, as long as they have a place to hide, they do fine. The 5-6 week olds get chased around and tail feathers get pulled out, but I never had any injuries or fatalities. BUT I do have a large coop & run. And if you have 30, it shouldn't be a problem at all. The big ones will probably be overwhelmed. LOL!

I don't normally stick 2 week olds in with the big ones. Somebody unexpectedly gave me a few chicks last year and I wasn't set up for them, and didn't have time to get set up. One of them got stomped, probably when one of the big ones got off the roost, but the other 4 made it. ( I had 25 big chickens )

7. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    I have 1 month olds, 2 month olds in with my 1yo's....however, they are separated by caging/ bean wire. They can always fly over ( I had to go shoo the 1yo white leghorn hen out of the 1 month olds a couple of hours ago! ), but they seem to be doing fine.... I plan to fully integrate the 2 month olds with the 1yo's within the next 3 weeks or so.

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well, mine will be about 8-9 weeks when I need to shoo them out of where they're at now to make room for the next batch. Was gonna divide my run anyways for breeding purposes, so I'll divide it by then, that way they can hang out with a fence between them for a while.

9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    4boysmom, nice name you got there. LOL.

Angela

10. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    You will be fine with that many more!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by