1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding new chicks to week-old chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by demonique, Apr 16, 2007.

1. demonique

demonique Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Montana
    As you may know, I lost most of my chicks from my first order, so McMurray is sending me a new batch for arrival either today or tomorrow.

Will I run into serious problems just putting a bunch of new chicks in with 8 week-old chicks? Should I separate them for a bit, or will they be not so likely to do much harm at this stage?

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm confused are they 8 weeks or 1 week? If one week it should be OK, you will have to watch closely just to make certain. It doesn't always work for every breed.

At two months they will trample the new peeps so its not a good idea.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    demonique,

I don't think you'll have any problems putting them together. Your first McMurray chicks are only 1 week older than the second McMurray order.

regards,
    keljonma

4. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    If they are only one week apart I don't see any problem. If they are 8 weeks apart I wouldn't advise it. At this age (8 wks) they are starting their pecking order.

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    One week apart should be no problem at all. Just make sure they don't have to compete for space at the feeder or waterer, because the little ones are more shy at first (as you know).

-MTchick

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    demonique,

Just another tip.. make sure the new ones are on their feet and eating and drinking well before putting them with the older ones.

And like MTchick said, make sure they won't be crowded.

7. demonique

demonique Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Montana
    *lol* I see how that sounded. They're 1 week old, and there's 8 of them. *lol* Sorry.

And I did get my chicks today (though I called the big post office 90 miles away and went and picked them up a day early just to ensure they got here safely) - and they seem to be getting along fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by