1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding new chicks....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by salsss, May 15, 2016.

1. salsss

salsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    Hi all, I've been reading all about your experiences and am so thankful this forum is here!

I have 6 chicks in a brooder downstairs... and am adding 4 more on Tuesday. Both groups of chicks were born the same day. I'd like to add the newcomers in with the original 6.

My plan is to get a bigger brooder (I bought a large dog cage) and put all 10 in there at the same time. I thought it would break up the original chick's pecking order being in a new place and give the others a better chance to assimilate.

Does my line of thought make sense? Or do I have to divide up the larger cage and let them watch each other through wire?

Thanks for your help!!

2. micah wotring

micah wotring Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that they should be fine just putting them all together.

I am no expert but if you have any other questions post 'em

Hopefully somebody knowledgable will join in and help you.

MW

3. salsss

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    I mean they have not been out in a flock...either group. So do the segregation rules still apply?

4. micah wotring

I always thought that the pecking order was started once they reach maturity.

That's why I thought that they should be fine just putting them in together.

However I may be wrong.

I say just put them in together sometime when you have time to watch them for an hour or two.

If they don't fight enough to hurt each other than I think they should be fine.

If they are hurting each other then just take the aggressive ones out and integrate them as you would with full grown hens.

That's what I would do

MW

1 person likes this.
  5. micah wotring

Update me when you put them together.

Hope they all integrate fine.

MW

6. salsss

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    I have decided to go with the huge dog kennel (larger!) and put all 10 in together. Those EE's play rough and I didn't want them to have the upper hand...so they'll all go somewhere new. Hope it works!

I do see some dominant EE's by the way. My flock outside better watch these guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by