Adding new chicks...

Beccazon

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan Thumb
My sister-in-law has decided she simply must have a duck now that we do and cannot have any at home with her unruly mob of canines. She has asked to get one and us keep it with ours. Likewise, 2 of our boys have decided they like them so much they each want one of their own. The chicks and ducks we have now are about 3 1/2 weeks old. Adding new baby ducklings doesn't seem wise with our 3 large babies though the chicks are of course much smaller yet. Our current mixed flock is quite happy together. How would I, and SHOULD I, add several new baby ducks? At what age if not now? Probably once they are past the chick feeder stage?

We help each other and pet sit often. I don't mind the addition of one duck. She would gladly buy feed and help tend the flock. Just cannot safely keep one in her yard with her many dogs. Plus we would be adding a few for the boys anyhow. I am more interested in properly integrating new young to an existing older flock

The birds you have now are currently not that old,I would get the ducklings and throw them in with the 3 week olds just have back up cage if Necessary, just in case things don’t go as planned.Their all babies at the end of the day and I doubt your gonna have any issues.

I k
The birds you have now are currently not that old,I would get the ducklings and throw them in with the 3 week olds just have back up cage if Necessary, just in case things don’t go as planned.Their all babies at the end of the day and I doubt your gonna have any issues.
I kind of figured that's how I would try it! Thank you! Was just concerned the ducks I have now would be a bit big for lil ones. My two Pekin are PIGS at heart my Campbell is not nealy as stocky lol. But yes I will try it and have a 2nd brooder available for the new ones if there is a clash. Thx again

Pekins and khakis are not really aggressive, at all.
The adults can be a bit rambunctious at times(Escpecially during spring time, the drakes I owned fought all year round.)Khakis are no where near competitive escpecially hens, but majority of duck hens seem to be that way, ducks are really harmless if we’re being honest.Some breeds are a lil more timid and aggressive with other birds but most duck breeds are fairly calm.The worst part about usually are the drakes, they can However despite me saying their harmless, can ruin an experience if your not supervising them right, have had a drake rape a young drake and rip hens bald.

If you also have chickens as well as ducks and some of the ducklings turn out to be drakes, then you would be well advised to pen the drakes separate of the chickens as they will often try to mate the chickens and that can cause damage, injury and/or infection all of which can be fatal for the chickens..... just something to be aware of. I too would try adding the new ducklings to the existing ones providing the brooder is large enough but have a back up plan and do it when you have plenty of time to supervise/monitor.

This. I have three week old and five week old chicks together right now, no social problems at all. I doubt ducklings are any different. When they're that young they're still pretty malleable and not hormonal yet.

EDIT: Changed two week and four week to three week and five week. Time flies!

Last edited:
Great info! Thank you all. That was something else I was wondering, I had heard that Drakes could be a bit aggressive particularly in certain breeds. Obviously they are not very old yet so I am not sure what I have and they are most definitely not aggressive even with the chips yet. In fact, today the ducks got their first taste of free running in the Ron by themselves with some water to play in. They did wonderfully and seemed to really enjoy it and even came to greet me each time I came near. The checks were very excited to have them back after a couple of hours. Everybody curled up together in our heat and went to sleep LOL. At what age can I expect to start being able to know if I have drakes? I know how to tell if the Campbell is, but will it be harder to tell with the Pekin?

Around 3-4 months.I usually am able to tell by voice changes at this age.Males have a raspy voice while hens quack.By three months hens are usually quacking or at least every other few words their quacking,whilst at this age the drakes are making little to no sound,bbut hissing and maybe a raspy duck sound,bbut no quacking, it’ll be quite obvious.By four or five months the drakes usually start growing into their adult feathering and changing colors and drakes almost of all breeds have a curl at the end of their tail, sometimes two or three curls.

Back
Top Bottom