1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniebean123, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jenniebean123

jenniebean123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I have two seven week old silkies and im getting two 2 week old black copper marans do i need to sperate them will the big ones be mean to the lil ones ? Im new to the whole owning more than one chicken thing lol please help

2. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    you will need to isolate ANY new bird from the flock (existing birds) for 30 days or more.
    but other than normal pecking order squables shouldnt be much problems.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. jenniebean123

Aug 7, 2013
    Are the seven week olds old enough to go outside now or do i need to invest in another cage for inside for the new two

4. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    i have a nursery coop for all my "little"ones as i have some BIG chickens and they can be picked on during pecking order and a small chick vs. BIG chicken isnt too good of odds. i have my chickens set up in phase coops.. peeps in house till aclamated to temps.. then nursery pen till 2-3 mo then pullet pen till laying eggs. thou i do tend to keep the silkies in longer im new to them and they seem more fragile. lol
    also my big chicken pens are "contained" free range so no lid.. its safer for wee ones to have the lid of the nursery coop till they are too big for a hawk to fly off with.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. jenniebean123

Aug 7, 2013
    Ok im just so new ive never had more than one chicken at a time but now being a stay at home mom i wanted a hobby and i love chickens so i wanted to start a flock but in kinda lost were still working on the big coop any help would be appericated

6. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    i pm'd you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by