Adding new Chicks

dkeigh

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
We have 33 Rhode Island Reds. The coop is divided down the middle with floor to ceiling chicken wire and a door between the two areas. Right now the chickens have full range of the entire coop. We want to add 25 new chicks this spring. Can we shut the chickens we have now to one side and set up the brooder in the other side?

We have 33 Rhode Island Reds. The coop is divided down the middle with floor to ceiling chicken wire and a door between the two areas. Right now the chickens have full range of the entire coop. We want to add 25 new chicks this spring. Can we shut the chickens we have now to one side and set up the brooder in the other side?

Perfect, I have the same set up, I call it the grow out pen...Works perfectly, when I did put them all together we had absolutely no issues!

Thank you so much for the help. We are new to the chicken business and really appreciate the advice.

I've read in several places that if you brood in a divided coop like that, you can integrate at a younger age/size.
Anyone reading this tried that with good or bad results?

I've read in several places that if you brood in a divided coop like that, you can integrate at a younger age/size.
Anyone reading this tried that with good or bad results?

I didn't try, I waited more until they quit chirping (that's what I was told by my sister in law)

Interesting to see if someone has been able to do it tho..

Back
Top Bottom