Adding New Chooks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LeonieJane, Feb 3, 2012.

1. LeonieJane

LeonieJane Out Of The Brooder

Hello All,

We currently have 3 chooks (2 isa browns & 1 white sussex) and we are thinking about adding a couple of Australorp chooks...is there likely to be any issues adding them to the existing coup we already have?

Cheers

Leonie

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    most probly btu eventually they will sort it out but if the age difference is too big they may kill each other so make sure each party can defend each other then add them together and ti shud happen

3. LeonieJane

LeonieJane Out Of The Brooder

our chooks are only about 12 months old

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    if all the same age nothing much will happen unless some are much larger than others they will peck and etc etc try putting a little bit of vinegar in their water for a while just splash

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are the ones you are planning on adding? If you get them as chicks, you will want to house them separately until they are roughly the same size as your older ones. (around 12-13 weeks) Get at least 2 as you don't want to integrate a lone bird. When you put them together, do so at night and add them to the roost. There will be some chasing, pecking and bullying - but as long as there is no blood, let them work it out. Prepare not to get any eggs for a few days from your older girls either, they don't like change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by