Adding new coturnix to an established breeding group

Discussion in 'Quail' started by thatchickenlady, Jul 19, 2010.

1. thatchickenlady

thatchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    New York
    Has anyone here had success in adding new coturnix to an established breeding

colony without first putting all birds together in a pen that is new to all of them? Normally, when combining two groups, I will put them all in one pen to break the "pecking order, " and so they all start out on an equal basis where the existing birds don't go after the new ones. But someone recently told me their birds were of such good temperament this was not necessary. Was wondering what others have experienced and any additional methods to prevent picking on newly added quail.

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I tried that across several pens and lost at least one quail in each pen I was adding to.

3. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I dont know but cant wait to read other peoples answers as I am about to join two groups. Granted they are going into a new pen I am building that is 12ft by 18ft so space shouldnt be an issue, esp as the combined group will be less than 20 birds. But still, would hate to loose any due to them being aggressive tward eachother.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    TO QUOTE FROM THE UFC, TO START THE MATCH THE REF LOOKS AT EACH COMPETITOR AND ASKS..........

"ARE YOU READY?"

"ARE YOU READY?"

"LETS GET IT ON!!!"

followed by the bell's ring! [​IMG]

5. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by