Adding new ducklings of the same age to a different flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fawnda, Jul 3, 2018.

1. fawnda

fawnda Chirping

Jun 8, 2018
    Iowa
    I have 3 Welsh Harlequin ducklings that hatched a few days ago and I found a lady not far from me who has Cayuga ducklings that also hatched the same time and I'd really like to add a couple to the brooder the Welsh Harlequin ducklings are in. Do I need to keep them separated for any reason if all appear healthy? They should of course be about the same size. If I keep them separated, how long and how should I add them together? I'm mainly worried about each set of ducklings having different types of bacteria and getting the other ones sick. Thanks!

Knighstar679 likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I'd try them together hopefully at the young age they are they should all take to each other. If worried about sickness then keep them in separate brooders till you have had time to observe the new ones and see they are healthy.

fawnda likes this.
  3. fawnda

fawnda Chirping

Jun 8, 2018
    Iowa
    Ok, thanks!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Let us know how it goes please and of course lots of pics. :pop

5. fawnda

fawnda Chirping

Jun 8, 2018
    Iowa
    So we got the Cayuga babies and added them in with the Welsh Harlequin babies and I was surprised how much bigger the Harlequins were already vs the Cayugas, as they all had the same hatch date. The WH poked and pecked a bit at the newcomers occasionally, but it didn't seem to phase the Cayugas and it wasn't continuous or anything, just like every once in awhile they see one and want to see what it was. New babies eating and drinking and they're sleeping next to the other ones, so that's good. One of the new babies seems a little weaker maybe, not as vigorous as the other one, but it's clearly the smallest of them all. Will snap a few photos, they're stinkin' adorable :love

Knighstar679 and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. Miss Lydia

If you have some Nutri drench or poultry vitamins you could add some to their drinking water. Look forward to seeing them all.

7. fawnda

fawnda Chirping

Jun 8, 2018
    Iowa
    The less vigorous one in the one off to itself a little bit. Even it's sibling seems to prefer the Welsh Harlequins to it, but they all sleep near each other, from what I've seen so far. Hopefully they'll integrate the little Cayuga as time goes on.

Attached Files:

Julie Birb, Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Flockandfowl46

Flockandfowl46 Crowing

Mar 28, 2018
    Southwest Virginia USA
    What a bunch of cuteness :clap

Julie Birb likes this.
  9. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Crowing

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    adorable overload!!

this is the flock i am hoping to put together too.

10. Miss Lydia

Precious babies :love

Julie Birb likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: