Adding new ducklings to older group

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by McCauleyCoop, Feb 16, 2016.

1. McCauleyCoop

McCauleyCoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    Springwater, New York
    OK, its been a lot of years since I was a boy on the farm, we used to have I think white pekins and mallards, my mom was a 4th grade school teacher and would incubate and hatch the duck eggs at school as a science project.
    OK, that being said, we got 6 khaki-campbells last spring, of which we still have 4 alive at this time (One drake named Gary and 3 ducks).
    My question is we would like to get some more this spring.
    I just can't recall how to integrate the new ducklings with the full grown ducks. Is it ok to put them together early? or will the older ducks beat on them like the chickens do to new blood?
    Or keep them separate till they are big enough to fight for themselves.

Thanks
    McCauleyCoop

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

A really good way to integrate young ducks/chickens with older ones is to start them out in a cage, where they can watch and be watched in safety. You could prop the cage door open just enough to let the babies out without allowing the adults in, creating sort of a safe haven. I actually went through your situation for the very first time a few months ago, when my twin Cayugas and Blue Runner outgrew their brooder. I was amazed, because rather than the mature 5 ducks and drake attacking my little ones, those young brats actually had the nerve to boss the much older group around! They terrorized everyone around them (chickens included) with their blazing attitude, and STILL at 8 months of age have a ball goosing their flockmates and the barn cat. [​IMG]

-Alex

1 person likes this.
  3. McCauleyCoop

Dec 31, 2014
    Springwater, New York
    Thanks Alex, was very helpful

4. McCauleyCoop

Dec 31, 2014
    Springwater, New York
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the original 6 in their first trip to the pond last May 2015

1 person likes this.
  5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! Such cuties you've got there. I have two Khakis myself, and they're pretty to look at for sure. [​IMG]

-Alex

1 person likes this.
  6. mjamell

mjamell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Arkansas
    I have 2 ducks and several chickens together. I'm wanting to add some female ducklings because I think both of mine are males. Will my male ducks hurt the young ones if I introduce them at 4 weeks old?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by