adding new hens and rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken Rob, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    i have a flock of 18 RIR. 12 are about 25 weeks others are older . i am getting 17 Barred rock hens and 1 rooster . looking for best way to introduce to flock . may be little crowded in coop till spring time addition is done . but dont want to pass up these good young free hens . barred rocks are less then year old some older but not much . i have a large 16by 8 run they will be in to . coop is 10 by 10 . .. i no to add them at night , i can't seperate them , so may be kinda ugly at first . any tricks to make it easier

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First....... [​IMG]

I know you said that you cant seperate them but it is very important to keep the seprate from your flock in till you know they are healthy !!! You really dont want your whole flock getting sick from new birds.... This will only cause more problems !!

3. Chicken Rob

Chicken Rob Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    yes i was thinking that , but not sure how it could be done . this flock of barred rocks seem very healthy .

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yes, a flock can seem healthy but still infect another flock with somthing !!

I know its hard and we dont all have the space !!! If you could find some way to do it that would be great !!

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    If you isolate ONE of your old chickens with all the other new ones, you only risk losing one, as apposed to the whole flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by