1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Adding new hens with a Brody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aaron B, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Aaron B

Aaron B In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    I have two coops, one with a rooster and three hens. One of the hens has been sitting on five eggs for about two weeks. I wanted to add two hens from the other coop to this coop. These new hens are three months old and just about the same size as the others. I put one in and the rooster and two hens attacked it. I waited till they were up in the coop and on the roost to do this. I put the new hen on the roost and the hens kept pecking at it until it jumped off the roost, then the hens and rooster were all over it. Is this because there is a Brody hen in there laying on eggs and they see the new addition as a threat? Both of these coops are right next to each other. I didn't add both new hens, after I put the first one in there,I didn't get a chance to put the other one in there. I removed her after only a couple of minutes. Please advise as to when I can add these new hens.

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    sounds like you just have mean hens. my hens were nice to 6 week old chicks! i would put them in a separate sectioned off part in the outside coop with a place to sleep at night like a large plastic bucket and let them get used to seeing and hearing them every day for maybe a month. i know it sounds long but it will be worth it. have your hens ever gotten new chickens put in with them before? i would separate your broody from them because if they did that they could really hurt chicks.

3. Aaron B

Aaron B In the Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    These chickens have never experienced any new additions to their coop. Both of these coops are right next to each other, really no space at all between them, so they see each other all the time. I do plan on seperating the brody and chicks once they hatch.

4. five is my dog

five is my dog Songster

Jul 4, 2013
    my hens were complete meanies when i added 2 RIR and i had to separate them. they had never had new introductions. just give it time and close watching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: