adding new hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by highpointfarm, Mar 16, 2012.

1. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    Hey guys, i have 15 RIR pullets all are 5 weeks old, and living outside.... I just wondering how soon i can put them with the big girls (and guy) also how will they know to eat their grower feed not layer feed?

Thanks in advance
    -Caleb

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You might want to keep them separate until they are ready to eat the same food as the older hens. Or switch everybody to something like Flock Raiser and supplement with oyster shell. At this age you definitely don't want the youngsters eating layer feed.

I would be be penning them up alongside the other's for a while anyway so they can all start getting used to each other. If you just pop them in there they are going to get the snot beat out of them. Make sure they all have plenty of room when you do put them together, or let them free range together for a bit each day before you try putting everybody in the same pen. Just watch them carefully, integrating new birds can go ok or it can be a complete nightmare.

3. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    I am not worried about integrating so much as feed.... The chicks are supposed to be on Grower/finisher for another 12 weeks or so 8-O i only have the chicks in a a frame chicken tractor ... =/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by