Adding new non-vaccinated birds in with vaccinated

ediem

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
I was just made aware by a breeder that it could be a problem. My two,a ccllb and a pbr, were vaccinated as chicks for mareks and are on medicated chick feed. They're a little more than 3 mos old. The pullet I am looking to introduce to my mini flock is not vaccinated. He told me that mareks only protects by suppressing the symptoms of the disease but mine could still possibly have the disease. If they do, introducing a bird without the vaccine will expose the bird and more than likely kill it.
So, my question is when can I vaccinate the newcomer? Can a pullet be vaccinated or is it too late then? I raised my two from chicks so how likely is it they would have even been exposed to mareks? I found some pullets I really would like to purchase (one is a $75 auracana) but I don't want to bring her home to expose her and have her die
1f631.png
I don't know of any avian vets in the area either so I'm at a loss here. I wouldn't even know how to administer the vaccine or how long it takes before its working. Hubby is willing to chance it... He's a gambler at heart!!

I believe you need to vaccinate within the first 3 days of hatching, so it's too late. Unvaccinated birds either develop immunity or they develop symptoms and often die. The breeder is correct that vaccinated birds can be carriers and sources for infection to new birds. Mareks is one of the those weird diseases that can be hit or miss and can appear to come and go. I have chosen not to vaccinate and cull any that show symptoms. This is the first year I had one in many years. New unvaccinated birds will either develop immunity or will die. So it depends on whether you want to risk unvaccinated birds by bringing them home.

I have both vaccinated and unvaccinated birds too, and haven't had a problem with Marek's disease here ever. I'm blessed in having no near neighbors with random source chickens, and have always been totally paranoid about biosecurity. It has paid off for me! I also necropsy any birds that die of ??? causes. Mary

Thank you very much for the info. I've decided to forgo that unvaccinated pullet I was going to purchase because it was a rare breed and expensive. If I'm going to find out the hard way if my two present pullets are carriers I rather not use a fancy pricey pullet as the canary! So I found someone that has 'simpler' stock and I'll give it a go. How old before a chick has developed full immunity?

I got my two present girls at two days old and they were already vaccinated. They've been on fermented and dry medicated chick feed since day one. I use de in their dust bather and sprinkle a bit in their run. They get yogurt once a week and braggs ACV in their water. Their coop floor is pdz and the run is bare earth with a layer of pine shavings (hoping it composts naturally). There are no chickens anywhere near me, I'm in a close suburb of Philadelphia. I rarely have visitors and when I do they're not 'farm' people. I can't imagine how any diseases would get in except by other natural animals: squirrels, field mice, rabbits,wild birds, etc. Do those actually pose a threat of carrying? And what of mites and lice, are they carried chick to chick or do they just occur naturally from the yard?

We just introduced 3 unvaccinated chicks to our flock with no ill effects. The place we got them does not believe in vaccinating their birds as they are organic, and she said she has never had a problem. I believe if the birds are not over crowded, their environment is kept clean, and they are generally well taken care of, disease is rare.

That's good to know. Hubby believes the same and keeps telling me to relax but I really would hate myself if I kill one because I was careless.

We just introduced 3 unvaccinated chicks to our flock with no ill effects. The place we got them does not believe in vaccinating their birds as they are organic, and she said she has never had a problem. I believe if the birds are not over crowded, their environment is kept clean, and they are generally well taken care of, disease is rare.

I don't think that organic standards prevent vaccinations, so Marek's vaccine is still a good idea. Healthy birds ISOLATED from infectious diseases are going to stay healthier than birds exposed to disaster. Mary

I bought Chicks this year all vaccinated for Mereks....Being Chickens are like Chips I bought more from a private seller...My issue became the LT1 Respiratory infection...They all got over it but will flare up if stress is a factor in my flock....The new pullets were fine but carried it in...My first pullets became sick first, then the new ones..I was told to not add anymore birds or sell any I have being they are now carriers for life...The livestock health people were telling me to cull my entire flock and wait 6 weeks, then I could start over...I did not want to have to spend more money on birds...So far they are all doing great..No symptoms..
It really is up to you....Either buy more or take no chances with the birds you have....

Best of luck

It is always good to isolate the new ones for two weeks to make sure they are healthy. I think we are a society that lives in fear, based on the bad news we hear. Disaster is always possible, but I don't let it rule my life.

Back
Top Bottom