Adding new roo to the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sgt pepper, May 13, 2010.

1. sgt pepper

sgt pepper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    A Friend Gave me a 1 yr old New Hamp REd Roo on sunday, I have 18 buffs, and 1 lockenvelder roo thaqt came with the buff chicks when i got them 2 1/2 yrs ago. The new roo has been in a seperate cage all week just outside the main fenced in area, I have sprinkled feed around his cage, for the hens to eat at to get them all familiar with each other. The first few days the roo's were always face to face with the cage between them.. now the established roo doesen't pay him no mind.. I'm wondering how much longer should I keep them apart, or should i just let him out now and see what happens?

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I added my new roo at night. All night no problems. I got up extra early to let them out ino their yard and sat and watched. New roo was about 16 weeks and a Buff Orpington. The only other rooster was my grey silkie. Rodney the new boy tried dancing for a couple girls and Splash the silkie was having none of that and cased him out a small fight then all was good between them. Splash is still top roo and Rodney is number 2. Over the next 2 days the hens gave him a good beat down. No blood shed at all. Now all the ladies love him and and he does a great job being a rooster.

3. sgt pepper

sgt pepper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Well that didn't go too good.. I let the new roo out, and the old roo chased him up into the woods, nw i only have 1 roo again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by