adding new rooster to flock ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by victor1800, Apr 18, 2009.

1. victor1800

victor1800 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hi i am wondering how to add a new young rooster to my established flock of 9 hens mostly reds 2 bantams.We put him in about 2 hrs ago and the pour little guy got beat up pretty bad so i had to put a seperater in coop to keep them apart. How long will i need to keep them seperated ? I didnt realize they needed a slow introduction i guess? thx ahead of time for any help! Victor

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Victor, even one mature hen will wear out a young rooster. He needs to be mature and confident in his "manhood". Only way I can see for this to happen is for them to free range. That way he can escape their wrath and he will spend most of his time running from them. He should be at least 8 months old, maybe older to survive. Dunno what else to tell you. The partition will work, but he will never be accepted until he can assert himself as cock of the walk........Pop

3. victor1800

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thx, I think we are going to give him a few days in the same coop but seperated by a section of fence. At least let him get imprinted with our coop as his home then start letting him out with the hens to free range at least he can run like you said. Maybe hens will get a little used to him. Victor

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    What Lollipop said [​IMG] good luck

5. victor1800

Apr 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hi again another question it is day 2 with our new young new young rooster when we get to the seperated coop he is next to the hens i go in to refill his water and feed him he is desperatly trying to escape do any thing to get out, if he gets out is he going to just leave us or come back eventually to the coop. My daughter is scared he will just blast off and we will never see him again! Thx Victor

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by