Adding new rooster to my flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Greywolf1962, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Greywolf1962

Greywolf1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    I have 9 birds two of each Buff Orpingtons Buff Brahmas and New Hampshire all at 18 weeks all pullets. Three Light Brahmas two pullets and a roo, not sure of the age guessing around 6 months. I'll be adding a 25 week old Blue Orpington rooster this week. Question is what is the best way to introduce him to my flock? I know I'll have some feathers flying as the two boys decide who will be the boss but what can I do to make it as smooth as I can? Thanks for all the help.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Keep them separated by a fence for a few weeks. You need them to see each other but, not able to fight. However, it is best to totally quarantine any new birds away from your other birds for at least a couple weeks - a month is better. Then after you are sure you are not introducing a bird that will cause your other birds to get sick - separate by a fence between them. Good Luck.

3. Greywolf1962

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    I have another coop I can put him in but I let my birds free-range in the afternoon and on the weekends when I'm home. So it really won't be a quarantine. The only thing between them will be fencing. After a month of being in the other coop will I have to lock him in the big coop when I introduce into the flock or will he go with all the other birds when they go to roost at night?

4. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Can you fine another way to quarantine the new bird? Your current Rooster won't want to share his ladies with a new rooster so, if you can divide the main coop or add a dog crate ? after quarantine period, then the new roo can be in with the group but separate for some time. This will help them fight less. The new roo will need time to get used to the new coop too or he may try to return to the other coop at night. After you move the new boy in with the others and the boys aren't sparing through the fence you should be able to free range all together and they will figure it out.

5. fried green eggs

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Another thought after quarantine period - why not just give the new roo a few of the ladies and alternate free range days and have two groups? Once roos start fighting it can quickly turn deadly.
    I introduced a young roo into a pen with a older roo so, it can be done but, it takes time and careful management. I did it over a periods of 4 months divided by a fence after no ugly looks between the boys - I gave the new boy a few of the girls. I left them that way for a months then, when I finally removed the divider fence it was no big deal because - they each had their own harem.

6. Greywolf1962

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    Well it seems to be time for a coop remodeling. I guess it never stops. Lol
    My big coop is 9 by 14 so I have room to build a holding room for him.

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You can also temporarily blunt the roosters' spurs. There is info on that on the "Rooster Spurs" page on my website linked in my sig below.

There are other tips on helping birds get along on the "Flock Peacekeeping" page on there, too.

Best wishes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by