1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding not baby chicks but not adult chicks - juvenile?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcited2, Apr 27, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I know I have read a couple ways to add new chickens: I have seen the suggestions to add them at roosting time - at night, so they all wake up together. Also I've read to put them in sectioned off areas next to each other for a week.

I have lost some of my hens. (spring time and wild animals are hunting to feed their babies) I can get pullets about 12 - 15 weeks old. I don't really have shelter for them (and with all the rain we are getting) to put them in an area next to my current chickens. I worry about putting up a fenced area, so they can "get used to each other" and not having shelter from the rain and weather. Our night time temps are running in the 40's and sometimes 50's.

My current hens will be a year old in June. I have welsummer, silver marans, red star and I think I have lost all my partridge rock (they went broody and I think that is why they were so easy for something to get to). I have 8 hens total.

I believe the lady still has cinnamon queen, black star and maybe an other couple kind of pullets. I would get probably about 7 or 8 of them total.

So, would it be a disaster to try the just adding them at night at roosting time?

It is a shed, 10 x 10 in size.
    The door is left open, and they let themselves out as wanted and put themselves away.
    Three levels of roosts, and each level is about 8 feet long. Plus some of my current hens even roost in the rafters of the shed.

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Erm.... You should quarantine them before you add them at all, Hope thats not too much of a problem......

But then thats just my completly unejumacated guess... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Do you have a run attached to the coop/shed?

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Yes quarantine for at least 30 days. I would put them together unless they where close to the same size.

5. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:No. They come and go as they want.

Well, there is fencing around about half an acre around the coop/shed, but they have openings in the fence to be able to go out into other fenced in acreage. But that coop/shed is their only shelter.

6. eggcited2

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Quote:I don't have any place to put them for quarantine.

7. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I would also recommend a 30-day quarantine.

8. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Quote:I don't have any place to put them for quarantine.

If you don't have a place to quarantine, I wouldn't bring home adult birds. They can bring in a variety of mites, lice, bacteria, and viruses that your birds shouldn't be exposed to.

ETA: I don't mean to sound snarky when I say that. I just don't want to see a post from you in a few months about your dying birds.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by