Adding older birds to a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cheeperchick, Aug 27, 2013.

1. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Hi! I was wondering if it would be too stressful on my 2 month old flock if I add 2 ameracaunas (1 pullet, 1 roo) that are about 3 months older & significantly larger than everyone else. The Ameracaunas are currently in a small chicken tractor inside the larger coop so that everyone sees everybody, they've been in there for about 3 wks already. Would it be better to just let those 2 free range?

Older birds:
    [​IMG]

Younger Flock right now-9 birds:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sounds as if you've already solved the "stranger" issue by letting them get to see Them and interact with them through the tractor wire. There are more juveniles than the 2 older birds, so I bet the pecking order kerfluffle will NOT be much more than normal chasing, squawking, a bit of feather pulling or a peck or two (per bird - LOL). I doubt there would be any serious injury to any of the birds.

Just my opinion, but I think your flock is ready to be consolidated. :) Integration should be successful at this point.

Oh - don't interfere unless there is blood shed! Feathers flying, chasing, squawking, all that is normal in the Chicken World, no matter how distressed WE get about it.

3. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    I think ur right gryeyes...another concern I have is that the production red on the last pic could be a roo ([email protected] comb & waddles) could they live together in the same coop add long as they grow up together?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I tend to think people who swear you cannot have two Roos in a flock "because one will kill the other" must have originally heard that from GAME chicken breeders, and it's just been erroneously attributed to all chickens in general and then perpetuated.

I have kept a flock with multiple cockerels and roosters (the numbers have varied over the past four years) and only had ONE rooster that tried to kill a smaller one. He was mean to hens and pullets, too, so he was permanently culled. There are ALWAYS at least two mature roosters in my flock; the dominant and his subordinate. Cockerels growing up within this flock have integrated just fine; the senior Roos let 'em know they are subordinate to them and the kids respect it.

In your flock, your roosters will probably settle into #1 and #2 positions, but your hens might be over-mated and suffer feather loss on their heads and backs. Less than five hens "apiece" ( it doesn't really work that way, evenly, but you know what I mean) means all the girls will get a lot of rooster attention.

Hen "aprons" or "saddles" may be necessary if that happens.

The two rooster dynamic is usually a good one, though, for most flocks.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by