Adding older birds to a young flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly1, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Kelly1

Kelly1 New Egg

Oct 20, 2008
    I have 8 origional chickens, 2 roosters, and 6 hens. They hatched aroung the 1st of June. Recently we decided to add to our chickens and got 4 older hens, some as old as 1 year. These hens are laying my origional are not (yet). We added them into the chicken coop and kept them together for 3 days and then decided to let them out and run the yard ( free range). Only one of the new hens returned to the coop in the evening and is the only one who has joined to the flock. The other 3 are living in the bushes and doing their own thing. They are very shiddish. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for trying to get these 3 back into the flock and live in the coop, instead of the bushes. We have tried to catch them at night, but they always seem to get away.

Thanks

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    The only thing you can do now is run after them and catch them.
    They will not be safe in the dark.
    Keep them in a coop for a while 3 weeks/ 6weeks until they are used to their new place.
    Then after those weeks they should be fine and know were they belong.
    Good luck catching them [​IMG]

3. Kelly1

Kelly1 New Egg

Oct 20, 2008
    Thank you for the advice. I am hoping that we will be able to catch them. They are starting to come around the yard some but still not interacting with the other birds. [​IMG]

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you seperate the new birds to make sure the are healthy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by