Adding on and up to existing run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MrsFitzDarcy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. MrsFitzDarcy

MrsFitzDarcy Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    I am currently using this structure as a rabbit hutch. (It came with them.) My current Hen House is too small for the four, despite the advertisement:

[​IMG]

This is my current rabbit hutch:

[​IMG]

The hutch on the inside is free standing, and the plywood covers a hole.

I'd like to expand up. My boyfriend is reluctantly helping me. He is a smart guy, but since this is not his thing, he is moving slowly on the whole thing.

The closest coop I saw in the gallery is The Reedy Chicken Coop, except for he added on to the end whereas we are adding on top. This is my very poor illustrator version:

[​IMG]

Dear Boyfriend wants to support the townhouse by a) resting on the existing run and b) extending the the vertical pieces down to the ground so they'd essentially be like stilts. And it would be easily removeable. We rent, and there is a good chance we will have to move in January, so it needs to be reasonable portable.

Here DB's sketch:
    [​IMG]

Living in Tucson we need lots of ventilation so I was planing on making three sides (or two and a half if you include the nesting boxes) wire.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is my first post. Thanks for your input!

2. jetdog

jetdog Songster

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I think his idea is easy enough to build and easy if you have to move. I would build it solid with the top foot or so wire so they don't get wet if you get a driving rain.

3. MrsFitzDarcy

MrsFitzDarcy Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, that's a thought, too. In the summer's it just gets ... so ... darn ... hot. Any ideas for ventilation?

4. jetdog

jetdog Songster

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    If you did something like this but on a much larger scale maybe two sides so you get cross ventilation, mine are adjusted with a piece of chain open or closed depending on the weather, with it hinged at the top it keeps the rain out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by