Adding one hen to a group of pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Oct 27, 2011.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I have 18 pullets that are 17 weeks old. I also have a hen living by herself that I would like to add to the pullet group. They have been able to see each other as their runs are close. How and when would be best to try this?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I did just the opposite I added one pullet to my flock of 10 hens & 1 roo & she was a different color WOW was that a nightmare but she is still with them it took months to get it worked out. They still chase her some but she's fine. In your case I wouldn't hesitate just keep an eye on her.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

How old is the hen?

I added one hen to a group of 12, and she quickly became head hen. She is the oldest..

4. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:She will be two years old in March 2012

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I did just that. I added a hen over a year old to a group of 7/ 12 to 16 week old pullets. No problems at all. A couple of the pullets ran over to challenge her, she just puffed up, they took off and no problems since.

6. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I did just that, with no problems. Added a hen over a year old to a small flock of 7/ 12 to 16 week old pullets. No problems any one. They get along great.

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST, the first one didn't seem to go thru, so posted again and now got two......????

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  7. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:Thanks. My hen is a Delaware and she's somewhat of a dominant hen. I think she will be okay and if not, I could separate her again. I have one other EE that's predominantly white. Maybe I worry too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by