Adding one new chicken. Good idea?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Studio2770, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    My friend has one hen, but got letters from the city council about their chicken. We have a variance so we are fine but the city hasn't changed the ordinance to allow chickens. Hopefully we can get an ordinance change or maybe somehow my friend's family can get a variance somehow. If that doesn't happen, I'm considering taking the chicken off of their hands. Unfortunately it's only one hen and I know new chickens do better in pairs or more. My hens are a year old and I think theirs is a bit older. I know 6 of our 7 hens will pick on the new one. The seventh hen is a cochin, I doubt she'll do anything, maybe she will. Is this a good idea if it has to come to it?

2. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I put new chickens with ours after dark. If it isnt dark enough or a light is on... and they catch a glimpse of the new one, there is always a problem in the morning.

3. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I have integrated single chickens into my flock before. There is a quarantine period of about 30 days so you can make sure you aren't bringing anything in to your existing flock...I would keep her separated off in her own pen. Then after that's over, I would allow her to free range in a larger space with your originals for a while. There will probably be some scuffling and re-adjusting of the pecking order. After a couple weeks, or at your discretion you can probably put her in with your gals in the same coop. Integrations consist of a lot of you monitoring and seeing how things go.

1 person likes this.
  4. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I actually have integrated chickens before. Though they were a group of three. I'm just not sure of a single chicken.
    Yeah I remember the quarantine period. I'm wondering if I'd need to separate her as long even though my friend lives in the same neighborhood; it's not even a minute drive to his house.

5. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I would, yes. He still is going to have a different set of flora and fauna than you do....just to be safe, I would still do 30 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by