1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

adding protein

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bravevline, Mar 11, 2014.

1. bravevline

bravevline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    if i grind in 4 boiled eggs with 20 ounces of 18% feed, how much would you estimate the protein to be?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A 50 gram egg (without the shell) is 6 grams of protein so is only 12% protein. Adding the egg will therefore drop the protein. It is chock full of vitamins and minerals though so is still good to feed.
    Let's assume 4 eggs would be about 6 ounces. So roughly it would be 1 part 12% protein to 3 parts 18% protein would give you roughly 16.5 %.
    If you want to boost protein, fish meal, meat meal or field peas would work.
    I feed an organic 16% grower to my whole flock regardless of age. I also have 60% fishmeal. To achieve a 20% starter, I mix 1 part fishmeal to 10 parts 16% grower.
    You can use the Pearson's square to calculate.
    https://homesteadapps.com/app/free/feedcalc/pearsonsquare.php

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. bravevline

bravevline Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2013
    are you saying it would lower the protein to 16.5 or add 16.5?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Doing the math, if an egg is 12% protein that is lower than the 18% protein feed so adding eggs will lower the protein.

5. muskratp

muskratp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    Can you tell me more about the fishmeal? We feed all organic, which can be very expensive, but were fortunate to buy a TON of organic cricket feed, which has almost the same ingredients (less the corn) as chicken feed so we bought it. Fishmeal sounds like the ideal add in to bring it up to the protein level I need. Do you buy in bulk?

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I could be wrong, but I think you are comparing wet vs dry weight. If you removed all the moisture, egg would be much higher in protein. Albumin (the white) is close to 100% protein if you remove the water. Likewise, if you add a pound of water to a pound of 16% pellets, you would reduce the protein to 8%, but did you really reduce the amount of protein the birds ingest?

I believe that adding egg will substantially increase the protein delivered to the bird.

7. muskratp

muskratp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    Found it - and it looks like my local mill carries it so will call tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by