Adding protien to chickens' diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TK Poultry, Jul 27, 2009.

1. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    the guy at the feed store said to add starter to my layer and add some protein to the feed but is that rite??

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Why are you adding protein? Are they molting or something? If so, you can certainly use a higher protein feed, like Game Bird Grower/Flight Conditioner, which has 20% protein and comes unmedicated or Flock Raiser by Purina. What are you trying to achieve?

3. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    trying to add size to my commercial type exihibtion pullets for a show in october

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:When you say commercial type exhibition pullets. Are they Cornish rock cross or commercial leghorn?

Chris

5. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    no when i say commerical i prob should have say laying type b/c i hav som NHR and BR and WR so i guess wrong term but theyre a lil smaller than average and need to get some size on them

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Then what you can do is start feeding a 20% protein like the Game Bird Grower/Flight Conditioner that speckledhen recommended or a regular 20% Grower..
    There is a lot of people that I know that are feeding a grower to all there birds
    (chicks, growers, laying birds and breeders) and they say it works good...

Chris

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  7. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    cool cuz the last show i took these guys to the judge said the were to small so they didnt place hope to put some size on them before october

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Put them on full feed.. I would limit there treats so that they eat more of the grower..

Chris

9. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    yep rite now i have them on a 16% layer with a non-medicated 20% starter and i giving it to my heavy class ducks for size as well they are a lil small too

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you want to mix the Layer and the starter together
    I would mix it 75% starter and 25% layer that would put you at around a 19% pro. mix.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by