Adding pullets to current young flock

Mom2LotsOBoys

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Shenandoah Valley
Quick question - I have nine young 5-6 week old pullets and am getting two more that are around 10-12 weeks old or so.

The coop will be new to them all as mine are still in the brooder, although itching for freedom. I’m assuming they all need to stay in the coop a few days to acclimate to it. So, can I put them all in together at night, or should I keep the new two in a separate area of the coop…?

Since the new ones are bigger, I wasn’t sure if that changed things. Everything else I could find related to introducing younger birds to older.

It’s risky. The age difference doesn’t seem like much but the size difference will be and you should quarantine the new birds from the ones you have now

It’s risky. The age difference doesn’t seem like much but the size difference will be and you should quarantine the new birds from the ones you have now
So when it’s time to introduce, you’d suggest separate but unable to touch?

Not to negate bird illness but realistically I just don’t have space to have two sets of chickens for a month 🤷‍♀️. I know where they are currently living and the health of those birds (small town farm of a friend) so I’m figuring the more immediate danger is them all killing each other rather than disease. Trying to avoid immediate demise lol

Quick question - I have nine young 5-6 week old pullets and am getting two more that are around 10-12 weeks old or so.

The coop will be new to them all as mine are still in the brooder, although itching for freedom. I’m assuming they all need to stay in the coop a few days to acclimate to it. So, can I put them all in together at night, or should I keep the new two in a separate area of the coop…?

Since the new ones are bigger, I wasn’t sure if that changed things. Everything else I could find related to introducing younger birds to older.
I'd put them all in the coop at the same time, during the day so you can watch.
Hopefully your coop is big enough to be in there with them, and to have lots of space.
Have a crate ready for the older ones in case chaos ensues.
Multiple feed and water stations would be a good idea.

One concern is how big is the coop. The bigger the better. The more you crowd them the harder this can possibly be. The age difference is a bit of a concern, but even if they were all the same age you can still have integration problems.

I agree with Aart, try the simple approach first. Put them together when you can watch. Many people would be surprised at how often that works. Have a place where you can put the two quickly if you need to. You may need to go to a slow introduction but hopefully not.

I'd put them all in the coop at the same time, during the day so you can watch.
Hopefully your coop is big enough to be in there with them, and to have lots of space.
Have a crate ready for the older ones in case chaos ensues.
Multiple feed and water stations would be a good idea.
One concern is how big is the coop. The bigger the better. The more you crowd them the harder this can possibly be. The age difference is a bit of a concern, but even if they were all the same age you can still have integration problems.

I agree with Aart, try the simple approach first. Put them together when you can watch. Many people would be surprised at how often that works. Have a place where you can put the two quickly if you need to. You may need to go to a slow introduction but hopefully not.

I’ll give it a shot. I can have a couple feed/water stations and will try to have some places for chickens to get out of sight if other chickens. 🤞

I wouldn't over-think it too much. As long as they have enough space, the chickens will figure it out. The ones who are in the space first will be the "big chickens" and the ones that arrived second will be the "little chickens" regardless of who is actually bigger. So I'd either put them all in together at the same time, or maybe put the 5-6 week olds in there first so they have home-court advantage over the bigger ones.

Back
Top Bottom