1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Adding pullets to the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grasjm36, Jun 24, 2010.

1. grasjm36

grasjm36 Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Not sure if this is the right category...

How old is the recommended age to add my growing pullets into the 'grown up' flock?

I have about 5 that look ready, that will be added to a flock of 26 including a rooster. They are not strangers to each other because they have been in the same coop with chicken wire seperating their areas. During the day the big girls get to free range will the pullets stay safe in a spacious run.

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Honestly I have my about 2 month olds in with my hens they are fine. How old are they and what kind of feed are you going to use?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  3. grasjm36

grasjm36 Songster

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Thats the part of the problem...my fiance brought a carload home one day...all varying ages. The man he bought them from couldnt tell him the ages [​IMG]

This is my first year raising chicks and I know how old they are at least. So for the pullets I really can't even guess how many weeks or months they are. Definately older than one month. Probably two. The biggest of them have developed combs and wattles but they are just not full grown. I am using both chick mash (which they all the littlest ones eat) and laying mash (just a small dish for the largest of 'pullets' and the single laying easter egger that came with the bunch that I didnt have the heart to throw in alone with my original flock). [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by