Adding Roo back to coop with hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CluckThis, Oct 17, 2009.

1. CluckThis

CluckThis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Arlington, Washington
    4 roo's in freezer, blue ribbon winning Silver Laced Cochin roo left and time to get him in the condo coop with the girls. They have not been together for approx 4 months. We moved him in the small coop right next to the girls 3 days ago so they could see each other. Weather is turning, rain has arrived and he needs to have the same comfortable housing as the girls. Any suggestions on how to add him to the group? What kind of behavior should we expect .

2. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    We recently added a Barred Rock Roo back in and he is establishing a pecking order. He was never this aggressive before so I am concerned for my girls. I am new to raising chickens and am not sure how much is to much aggression.

3. CluckThis

CluckThis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Arlington, Washington
    I'm hoping since he is such a cool sweet guy all will go well. Hoping since he's the only guy left things will go well. My daughter wants a few babys him with our Silver laced hens in the spring. Have had Roo's they were aggressive towards us they are in the freezer. My Hens that are 2 years old are still working on getting feathers back from the aggressive roo, can't have that again.

4. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    We still have Roos that are aggressive. We have culled 3 and now hubby has decided he would prefer not to so I am stuck with 7 Roos we do not want ( we did not order them).

We want to keep our Barred Rock, he is gorgeous and was the sweetest until we moved him in with the girls. I love my girls and don't want the terrorized any idea how long I let him stay if the behavior doesn't stop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by