Adding Rouen Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, Dec 1, 2010.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I am beginning to think I have 4 girls, 1 Rouen and 3 Mallards. They are ALL very loud and from what I understand the males just aren't loud. They are over 3 months old now and while I don't see any sign of any molting on any of them, those loud quacks are a pretty good indication from what many of you have said. We were really hoping the Rouen was a drake. I have a friend with a Rouen drake, it actually might be my Rouen's brother, also just over 3 month's old....and he already looks like a drake. I am thinking of getting him and introducing him to the girls.....waddaya think? Am I looking at a blood bath or will they accept him.....eventually?

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    oh no, they will love him....they will accept him.

3. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    That's what I thought, but someone told me that they might attack him....which sounds a little weird to me.

Why aren't my girls molting yet at almost 3.5 months...is it because of the cold? Or am I missing something....lol

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    they will molt later....you really don't want them molting now... you would need to get them a fur coat until the feathers came back.

5. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I would be very happy for them to put off molting at this point. It's cold out and they are so happy floating around in their pool. Do ducks NOT molt if it's too cold out?

My 3 month old Rouen drake was sold already, but I have a line on a year old. Can you put a year old drake in with 3.5 month old hens?

Then again, now we're wondering about one of the young one's, just 3 months. We were told it's a hen, but her head is staying very dark, she doesn't quack and her bill is staying more olive as opposed to the others who are getting sort of orangey. Hmmmmmmmm. I am SO impatient! [​IMG]

Trying really hard to let nature take it's course.....as I sit biting my nails....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by