Adding shipped eggs to staggered hatch with auto turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jhfamily5, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jhfamily5

jhfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Brownstown, IN
    Hi all! I planned on doing a staggered hatch due to some shipped eggs I ordered coming much later than anticipated. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX that has an auto turner and for lock down I move them to a cheap LG still air incubator as a hatcher (works beautifully for that). I know to let the shipped eggs settle for at least 24 hrs but I have read a lot of posts that say you shouldn't turn them for the first 3-5 days. The ones I set a week ago have been turning. How do I go about adding my shipped eggs once they have finished settling? Do I turn off the turner? What about the eggs already a week in? I don't want to damage them and I know all of the shipped eggs won't develop but they were VERY expensive so I have to add them all in to make the most of the investment. They are more important than my own which I can replace easily but I also don't want to damage good eggs if I don't have to. Ugh...tough decision. I welcome all advice on how to merge. Thanks in advance :)

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I am certainly no expert, but since you have the LG- could you put them in there for a few days until you are comfortable putting them in the auto turner?

3. jhfamily5

jhfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Brownstown, IN
    That's kinda what I was thinking I would do if they can't be added to the Brinsea. Being valuable, I would prefer to put them in my "good" incubator from the start if it weren't a problem, but if it is and humidity isn't a concern for the first week or so, then the LG should work fine. It holds a good temp but is bottom of the line and has no humidity gauge or control. I have only used it as a hatcher so far but it stays rock steady temp wise even though I have opened it many times to remove hatched chicks and it always comes right back up in no time. I know it is "taboo" but they are so noisy while in there that they keep my kiddos up at night so I give them an hour to rest a little then move them to the brooder. These are my first shipped eggs so I don't have any experience. I have read a lot but everyone seems to have conflicting opinions on EVERYTHING so I second guess every decision I make. I just needed a little backup and to know I am on the right track. I don't want to mess these up. They have enough working against them being shipped halfway across the country this time of year. Thanks a bunch for your feedback! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by