Adding single chick to brooder

gabigirl21

Chirping
Aug 11, 2021
PNW
Hey all,
There was a snafoo with chicks at the feed store and I had originally planned to get 3 chicks the first week and 2 chicks the following week (mixed breeds). Last week one of my chicks arrived early and so I got 4 chicks.
My final chick (buff Orpington) is set to arrive either tomorrow or Friday and I’m wondering if it’ll be too difficult to add just one chick to the brooder? Should I add a second? I didn’t want 6 chickens (my run plans make 53 sq feet which is perfect for 5), but I also don’t want the chick to suffer if it’s alone and a week younger than the others. I’ve chosen relatively docile breeds: black australorp, Easter eggers, and a barred rock.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:
Young chicks are pretty accepting of newcomers, so I'd put them together and just keep an eye on things throughout the day. Worst case scenario, you'll need to put a wire divider in the brooder so they can see but not touch the new arrival - after a couple of days they should be used to each other enough to be allowed to mingle.

Hey all,
There was a snafoo with chicks at the feed store and I had originally planned to get 3 chicks the first week and 2 chicks the following week (mixed breeds). Last week one of my chicks arrived early and so I got 4 chicks.
My final chick (buff Orpington) is set to arrive either tomorrow or Friday and I’m wondering if it’ll be too difficult to add just one chick to the brooder? Should I add a second? I didn’t want 6 chickens (my run plans make 53 sq feet which is perfect for 5), but I also don’t want the chick to suffer if it’s alone and a week younger than the others. I’ve chosen relatively docile breeds: black australorp, Easter eggers, and a barred rock.

Thoughts? Thank you!
If you add it in with the other ones it should be fine, since it is a little bit younger they might pick on it a little bit, but I wouldn’t be worried.

I've done it before too and as long as they are all very close in age, it isn't usually a problem. In fact I debated about doing it this year after only 6 of my 10 Sapphire Gems from Jenk's survived after being manhandled by the post office (one DOA and the rest dying within 24 hrs). Our local feed store had just gotten a batch of Rhode Island Red pullets, and I thought about replacing the dead ones with them. But since the Sapphire Gems had been under so much stress already, I decided not to. Now that they are point of lay pullets, I cleaned out and disinfected the brooder and may get some this fall if the feed store gets any.

Back
Top Bottom