adding some light

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
So sun up is between 7-8am and goes down about 5:30pm. Would six strands of white led Xmas lights be bright enough? I plan on adding between 3.5-4 hours of light. I need something that stays cool, won't run up the bill and can be unplugged (I will running an extension cord out there).

Fred's Hens :

It's hard to beat the mini flor (twisty bulbs) for economy. I doubt a single string of Christmas lights would draw very much more, but a mini flor is only pennies a days. The only draw 13 watts but put out 40 watts worth of light, or something like that.

X-2 on that .You could go with a few LED with std bulb base ,but they are Picey ...cva34​

Fred's Hens :

It's hard to beat the mini flor (twisty bulbs) for economy. I doubt a single string of Christmas lights would draw very much more, but a mini flor is only pennies a days. The only draw 13 watts but put out 40 watts worth of light, or something like that.

One 40 watt bulb about 7' off the floor will provide the proper light for most coops. Mine are all about 100 sq ft, and that's the wattage I use. I am happy with the results.​

I'm trying a solar light, a Westinghouse shed light from home depot. Trouble is, it's very overcast these days, and the coop/run are surrounded by trees, so it gets minimal sunlight during the day. It seems to last about 15 minutes.
hmm.png

The cord is too short to move the collector to a better spot, and it seems to be a proprietary cord, I doubt there is an extension available. (and if there was, the voltage drop would probably negate any gain).

Back
Top Bottom