adding some thing to feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fowler_chick, Sep 11, 2009.

1. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    when i mixed my feed for my flock i put in about 25 lbs per ever 50 lbs of crumble in to a storage tub and mix it....my girls have discoverd milo....is it ok to mix that in to there rations?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Milo and sunflower seeds is pretty much what I feed mine for scratch. After corn harvest I'll go walk the field and pick up ears that our combine missed for this winter to throw out when it's colder.

3. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Katy, Do you throw the corn in with or without the husk?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Most of the time the husk is already gone, but I leave the kernals on the cob...gives them something extra to peck at. The ones that have the husks on I usually open up a bit, but I don't take it off.

5. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    That is a great Idea. I will be going to the corn field after they cut it to stock up for winter. I never thought of doing that.Thanks.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I started doing it one year when I was waiting on the truck to get full...thought why am I buying corn when I've got all this out here for free!! I don't think the cows miss what I pick up and they don't get to eat.

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I grind it up and give it to my girls..How much of it should I feed per day? They are on layer and oyster shells

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by