1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding to existing flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BTinks, Jan 22, 2014.

1. BTinks

BTinks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    I'm just planning ahead for this spring when I'm sure I will be unable to resist the chick fluffs at TSC. We currently have a flock of 33 standard sized hens who are all around a year old. We just recently lost our rooster and I am thinking of getting another one when we get some chicks. I'm thinking of getting a couple large fowl pullet chicks and a few silkies pullets and a silkie cockerel. How does it usually go adding new young ones to a flock? What age seems to be the best for integration? Will it work to add silkies to my flock if I have a couple large fowl chicks in the group of newbies?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mixing Silkies or other bantams with large fowl sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Silkies especially tend to get their top know pecked. If I were going to do this, I would have a separate coop and yard available for them if needed. But ten you really need a separate one for the new chicks to grow up in, anyway. At least with days olds from the feed store, there should be no need for quarantine. This is a pretty good thread on the subject:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

3. BTinks

BTinks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2013
    Thanks, that link was really helpful! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by