adding to flock how to stop older chickens from bullying young hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silverwing0904, Aug 25, 2008.

1. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    I have three hens, i recently added two ten week old chickens to my flock. My older hens have been bullying my newcomers. How do i stop this behaivior? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    You could put them in the run inside a separate area so everyone can see each other and get used to the newbies for a week or two. Keep them separated at night too.

Let them out when you are around to supervise and make sure to stop any meanness.

After a few weeks introduce them to the flock, but be prepared for some pecking-order behavior.

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have no idea . We just recently added 8 hens to our flock and the older flock is doing the same thing .

Do not worry about it , they will adjust .

I do know , there is one breed that I cannot mix with the existing flock and thats bantams . HOLY MOSES , you talk about fght and feathers flying . they out for blood .
    So , we have the bantams separate .

4. silverwing0904

Jun 4, 2008
    I went out their just now and the older flock had a younger chicken cornered and laying on the ground in pain we had to seperate them from each other. We are going to wait until the younger ones are old enough to fight back. [​IMG]

5. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Whats the difference in age ?

6. silverwing0904

Jun 4, 2008
    Older flock about 30 weeks younger about 10 weeks.

7. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Yeah, thats quite a difference. I would wait at least 5 more weeks. But try to keep them in the run (inside another cage) so they can get used to them.
    ~Rebecca

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Just leave them mixed together and they will adjust . IF you separare them , once they get older would be the same thing .

Just make sure you have only 1 rooster .

9. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    Quote:I agree with cajunlizz, no need to make them go through it twice. Right now my brooding hen that was raising five baby chicks is trying to re-establish herself back into the coop. I feel sorry for her because they are so mean to her, especially the rooster, but that is just the way chickens are. As long as she is quick enough to get out of the way, it will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by