Adding to my flock but... Will they get my flock sick? Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by karlamaria, Jul 22, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I would like to add 2 more to my flock, but my worry is I did not know they needed to be vaccinated and there for my girls were not, now there 20 weeks old and I fear if I add even chicks to my flock my girls may get sick. If I get vaccinated chicks from people around my neck of the woods, will my girls be safe from mercks disease or am I taking a chance? We gave away a rooster and have more room for 2 more birds comfortably, I would also like to get older pullets already vaccinated instead of chicks. Is this ok, or should I just forget it since my birds were not vaccinated am I taking to big a risk? We love our girls,

2. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    All new birds should be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days. Period ! You can look through thread here and see over & over what happens to people and their birds when they don't quarantine. Best of luck. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Awesome info thank you ! I had planned to keep them away from my flock for a month or more just worried about mine being carriers as they were never vaccinated. There healthy but you never know if there carriers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by