Adding to my flock but... Will they get my flock sick? Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by karlamaria, Jul 22, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster 7 Years

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I would like to add 2 more to my flock, but my worry is I did not know they needed to be vaccinated and there for my girls were not, now there 20 weeks old and I fear if I add even chicks to my flock my girls may get sick. If I get vaccinated chicks from people around my neck of the woods, will my girls be safe from mercks disease or am I taking a chance? We gave away a rooster and have more room for 2 more birds comfortably, I would also like to get older pullets already vaccinated instead of chicks. Is this ok, or should I just forget it since my birds were not vaccinated am I taking to big a risk? We love our girls,

2. BHep

BHep Crowing

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    All new birds should be quarantined for a minimum of 30 days. Period ! You can look through thread here and see over & over what happens to people and their birds when they don't quarantine. Best of luck. [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Crowing Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster 7 Years

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Awesome info thank you ! I had planned to keep them away from my flock for a month or more just worried about mine being carriers as they were never vaccinated. There healthy but you never know if there carriers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by