1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding to my flock - How does my plan sound?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tacswa3, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I want to add 3 chickens to my flock of 5. These will not be chicks, but pullets and could range from 8 to 12 weeks old. (Haven't been to my supplier yet, don't know what they have)

I have a small enclosed portable run that I will add a dogloo for shelter. I was going to place this along side the existing run on the outside so they can all see but no touchy. After a week or so I thought about sectioning off an area in the main run for the newbies but I don't have much room for a shelter. I was hoping my first idea would be fine.

Here is my issue, My coop is small and I don't have the room in there to place a dog crate inside and have the newbies in there. I'm hoping once I let them in the main run, they all will just have have to figure things out on their own.

Not the best plan but any other ideas would be great. Any tips from small flock owners with small areas please chime in.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If you don't have much room in your regular coop/run then you first idea is what you should go with. Trying to cram more stuff and the new chickens in a small area is not ideal. One of the rules of integration is to have as much space as possible during an integration. After the week of looking I would try to connect the portable run with your run for the integration. So to give the new comers space to retreat to for a bit.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I think I might consider adjusting the joint fence so that the smaller birds could escape into their safe space if needed. But that might mean jeopardizing the integrity of the fence?

Setting up some hideouts in the main pen helps a great deal.

Mrs K

4. Gayelynne

Gayelynne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Hi everyone I'm hoping someone can help me. I have four chickens all grown up now and I would love to go get four more. How long do I have to wait to add them all together? The four new ones will be little babies... Please any suggestions? Thank you GL

5. Tacswa3

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Ahh, I didn't think of setting up the adjoining fence to allow them a place to retreat. I'd have to think on that one because its chain link. Maybe hiding places will do the trick. Thanks for the ideas, thats why I posted :)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You might consider modifying your chainlink run with a sliding door to permanently accommodate this setup......
    ......cause you never know when you'll need a separate but adjacent enclosure.

Is your main coop and run big enough to healthfully hold 8 birds?
    Have you considered a biosecure quarantine of the new birds......in case they being in any pests or disease?

ETA: this link covers quarantine and integration.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. Tacswa3

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    aart - Thanks for the reminder about the quarantine. I knew that but just plain forgot about it.

My current run is 10x20 and will be expanded to 16x20 so that should be large enough for 8 birds. I do part time free ranging as well. My main coop is 4x6 so I'm right at the capacity for room in there. To be honest, my birds only go into the coop to lay and roost anyway.

Any ideas for a cheap temporary coop for the quarantine birds?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    OhMan, I wouldn't put 5 + 3 new birds in a 4x6 even just to sleep and lay....roosting time is gonna be a rodeo!

You might be able to use the portable run and dogloo for quarantine....just put it far, far away from the main coop/run and follow other biosecurity procedures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by