Adding to my flock, how to?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Five Dog Farm, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Five Dog Farm

Five Dog Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    We currently have 2 barred rocks (1 year old) and 3 RIR ( 2 years old we got from a friend last fall) all hens. Got 5 more Barred rock pullets about 4 weeks old now. The pullets won't be ready to go out to the coop for a month to 1 1/2 months based on size and temp. We free range during the day. I have 10 nesting boxes in the coop. I was thinking of bringing the little ones out and putting them next to the coop for a bit each day as the weather gets nicer while the big girls are still locked up. After doing that for several weeks maybe slipping the little ones into nesting boxes during the night. Any input would be appreciated!

2. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    You have the right idea! I have ten girls between 1 1/2 yrs & 2 1/2 yrs. I also have three that are six months old. they ALL can get out into a fence run durning the day. But I do have a fence to separate them. they can see each other. Every afternoon I let them All free range together. the three usually stay together. but all them them mingle abit. the three younger ones get picked on a bit but not bad!!. I also have ten four week old chicks. I will probably introduce them to the rest of the flock sometime this summer. I think it would be better if you let the little ones free range with the rest BEFORE locking them up in the coop together. that way they can get a way if they are picked on hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  4. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    CMV

Great link! I added four chickens to my flock last summer when they were seven months old. Guess I got away with it. but NO MORE adding unless they are baby chicks

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:I know! I love that link. I had to nominate Buff Hooligans for a BYC educator award because that link has proven itself to be instrumental in helping so many folks during integration. Truly the best write up on flock integration I have come across, and I have a lot of links on chicken... everything. So that's pretty high praise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by