Adding to stagger hatches

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cknldy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I've done staggered hatches before but by the third set hatch rates get pretty low. My question is when is the best time to add a second set? Say one set is already in the incubator. Is it best to add the second set during week 2 of the first set? Will it work out better to add the second set right before lock down or add them so that lockdown of the first set is during what stage for the second set? I hope that wasn't too confusing! You know how it is- folks say 'collect a dozen hatching eggs for me' then don't pick up on time or at all.....

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    They're doing horribly because you are hatching and incubating in one incubator. You can't successfully do a staggered hatch without a separate hatcher and incubator. Set the eggs in the incubator and then when a batch needs to hatch go ahead and move them to the hatcher.

3. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    A two set staggered hatch works out good with great hatch rates. If I have a third set in is the usually the problem but I think it's pretty much the bacteria factor of the other sets hatching by then. What about WHEN to add the second set though? Is there a best time during the 1st set's incubation to add the second set?(i.e. 1st set at day 17 add 2nd set and lockdown temps won't affect very much or what?)

4. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I've never done a staggered hatch, but have thought about doing it a number of times. My thinking is that it would be best to add a second set as soon as possible. The most important time to turn eggs in in the first week. So its better to stop turning early, when the first batch goes into lock down rather than wait till after lock down to start turning. Now, I dont have a turner, I turn by hand. This is a hypothetical situation that I haven't tested, and I dont know if having a turner would change anything. I just understand that the egg needs turning in the first week so the little embryos dont stick to the shell. When they are more developed they can move around on their own.

However, I would most likely build a second coolerbator rather than try a staggered hatch.

5. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Just to update- I did buy another incubator for lockdown/hatching because that did seem like the best option. Unfortunately the second hand still-air bator didn't work, fortunately the seller was kind enough to give my money back:) Instead I figured out how to remove some of the auto-turner trays so the second set can still be turned. Humidity shouldn't cause too many problems (it didn't in the past) and I will remove the hatched chicks very soon after coming out of the eggs to try to prevent as much bacteria as possible from building up before the other eggs hatch. Would still like opinions on when best to add sets. Closer to lockdown leaves me with questions about the humidity and absorption/evaporation by the next set of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by