1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

adding to the flock? Should I...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by markb816, May 17, 2010.

1. markb816

markb816 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I have 6 hens that are 6-7months old. 2Wyandottes, 2Leghorns,1Deleware, and 1RIR. Also I have 1 round a year old Rooster.
    My question is that I was possibly looking toward acting to the flock. 1Deleware, 1Jersey Giant, 1Australope, and 1Brahma or Frizzled Cochrin. My concern is that the new birds I am looking at are only 9weeks
    old. Would it work to put them all together? What are the pros and cons??

Last edited: May 17, 2010

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
  3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Of course you should!!

4. markb816

markb816 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    You don't think just being 9 weeks that they will be vulnerable or victims of being picked on from the older hens? What about the rooster?, Is he going to hurt them? I just don't want to put 9 weeks with older birds if its not a good ideal. I guess I'm just thinking like 4 year olds with pre-teens? Am I mistaken for thinking like this?
    Please let me know

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Your post said they were 9 months old, not 9 weeks. You are right to be concerned.

Did you read Buff's article I sent you? That should answer some of these questions.

6. chickM4st3r(AL)

chickM4st3r(AL) In the Brooder

May 9, 2010
    LI,NY
    yeah but dont mix them the second u get em keep em in a cage 4 a day and one a half near the others then mix en

7. markb816

markb816 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    I apologize, I did say 9 months, my bad.
    so when would they be big enough to intergrate.
    I only have 1 coop, so now I am concerned where I would keep them, if I can put them in the flock soon after a quarantine.

8. You can always do a grow out pen within the coop (if you have the room) just take some hardware cloth and run it from one side to the other of the coop it is a don't touch pen they can see each other and squak at each other but not touch each other then after about a month (AT NIGHT ONLY!) take the hardware cloth down and place them on the roost then in the morning they will be like hey where did you come from oh well since your here you will need to learn the pecking order and last will last for only a day or two (at least thats how long it lasted with mine now they all get along and eat/drink togther but if you do it during the day force them to interact such as chase them all out into the yard/run or about 5 -10 minutes then chase them all back into the coop so they will be forced to interact....

Hope this works for you as it has me
    Good Luck to you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by