Adding to the flock

Wetsnail

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2016
St. Martinvillell Louisiana
I have 4 hamburgs and would like to get about 4 more larger chickens for the larger eggs. Will one type pick on the other? I have plenty of room for 8, but not sure they would get along with each other.

I actually have the feeling that rather than the larger breeds picking on your Hamburgs because they're small, your already established Hamburgs might feel the need to show the new ones who's boss. They could actually do a decent amount of picking on the newcomers at first, which I'm pretty sure is normal for any flock, so it my be a good idea to start the young birds out in a cage in the coop before completely turning them loose. In our flock of 28 chickens and 9 ducks (soon to be 38 chickens), the little breeds hold their own and aren't picked on in the slightest, even though we've gotten our girls in several small batches and everyone is of various ages and sizes. We've got a Hamburg, Golden Campine, Cream Legbar, Black Sumatra, and Sicilian Buttercup who are quite petite but are actually high up on the pecking order. Some of our girls are quite large breeds, too, (Orpingtons, Marans, Rocks, Wyandottes, ect.) and I must say they've never caused a problem. I wouldn't let size difference stop you from adding more birds to your flock, especially if your smallest are also the oldest. Hope this helps!
smile.png

-Alex

Back
Top Bottom