Adding to the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by midwestmommy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. midwestmommy

midwestmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    One of our 5 hens passed unexpectedly last night. We have a small order of broiler chicks coming next week, and now I'm planning to pick up another couple laying chicks locally.

Can I brood the broilers and layers together? How do I go about introducing the new pullets to my existing flock? I have 2 barred rocks, a New Hampshire, and an EE. The one we lost was a buff Orpington - the top of their pecking order. Now they seem kind of lost without her.

My layers have a good size coop and run, but usually free range during the day. I'm planning to keep the broilers separate in a tractor once they're out of the brooder.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes you can brood the broilers and layers together. The safest time to mix them is when they are all about the same size, after having been housed close to each other so they can get acquainted through a fence. Some people do mix flocks younger than this into adult flocks successfully, though.

Hopefully, you won't need to quarantine new chicks, but the last part of this article micght be helpful, anyway:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Good luck!

3. midwestmommy

midwestmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Thank you. I picked up a new buff orp, and one each silver and gold laced wyandottes last week. They're pretty adorable. Our broilers are supposed to hatch and ship today. Can't wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by