Adding TWO 5 week old chicks to a flock of THREE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DangerChickenHouse, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a small backyard flock of 3 BOs hens (no rooster). I have two 5 week old BOs that I'm ready to put outside. Is it too soon?

My plan is to put the chicks in my cat carrier at night in the coop. That way, they will be together, but they will be locked up. During the day I have the chicks in my garden, which is chicken wired. However, the neighborhood cat is getting interested and I'm scared it might kill them. Therefore, I would love to have the chicks in the coop with the other girls where I know they are safe. Is it too soon?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

If your chicks are fully feathered, then it's fine to put them out in the coop, BUT, generally, I wait until new pullets are adult sized or very close to adult sized before I put them with the established flock, because the larger hens will attack, which can result in serious injury or even death.

If you can rig it so they can all be in the coop together, but they are separated so that they can see eachother, but not touch eachother, that would be the best way to begin the integration.

Sharon

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I'm going to have this exact same situation but not for a couple more months and was actually a question I was going to ask.

I'm adding a Americuana and Speckled Sussex (babies arriving 4/21). My existing flock of three (1 Black Australorp, 2 Barred Rocks) are very polite and sweet with each other. I've never seen them display any sort of peck order. The Barred Rocks were introduced to the BA as adults after I lost two Buff Orpingtons. So, I'm thinking, I'll keep the new girls in the large brooder as long as possible and have some "play dates" during the day for about a week or two. Then I'll put the new girls in at night with the existing flock. Hopefully, *keeping my fingers crossed* everything will be fine. This is all "in theory" of course.

I think your plan sounds good but I like chicmom said, the longer you can wait would probably be better.

4. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Duplicate

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Sorry, I hit post once and it went up 4 times. Sheesh

6. nickie

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    And now I just erased my whole post. Sheesh.

I added the 5 week olds to the flock and it really was a non issue. I put them in the run with the adults for a few days while taking them un at night. I provided little lean to shelters for them to hide behind if they needed an escape (some one called them chick panic rooms on another thread). After a few days I stopped taking them un to their brooder at night and locked them in the coop. My logic behind this was adding small young birds doesn't shake up the pecking order too bad, the youngins aren't going to throw the queen bee off her post or challenge a rooster and loose. The youngins allow run away. It was a nonissue after a bit of chasing and a few Levis from the lowest girl and my rooster. Now Dom has accepted them into his flock and the world is happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by